I saw some post on capsicum rice on facebook few weeks ago and thought of making it. So my immediate source – google.com and I checked few recipes. I bought green, red, orange, yellow peppers. I have started observing Kartheeka masam – fasting during day time throughout the month. I also thought of not eating rice the whole month. Today I felt like making capsicum rice and prayed to God and made a petition to Him that I would stop eating rice from tomorrow and I’ll make Capsicum rice today and taste it and also prayed to Him to pardon me for today as I was going to eat rice today. Of course I observed upavasam (fasting) today.
Coming to the main story, I checked the video on vahrehvah.com. He has his style of adding things to his taste, so I did the same thing to add or substitute the ingredients to my taste.
1, Basmati Rice – 3 cups
2. Capsicum – I used Red (1), Yellow (1), Orange (1) and Green (1 1/2)
3. Big Onion 1
4. Urud Dal – 2 tablespoons
5. Chenna Dal – 2 tablespoons
6. Coriander seeds – 2 table spoons
7. Mustard seed – 1 tablespoon
8. cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
9. Red mirchi about 6
10. Peanuts 2 tablespoons
11. Ghee about 6 tablespoons (or up to your taste)
12. turmeric (small amount)
13 cloves – 6; cinnamon small piece; Cardamom – 6
14. cashews and almonds (the number depends on your taste)
1. Dry fry urud dal, chenna dal, red mirchi, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, peanuts and make it into a coarse powder.
2. Make a powder of cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon separately.
3. Cook rice separately in a rice cooker. I use 1 1/2 cups of water for one cup of rice.
4. Cut onions, and all peppers into thin long pieces. If the pieces are very long, cut them into half.
5. In a big container, add two spoons of ghee and saute the onions and add capsicum pieces (leave some pieces which could be used to garnish), add salt and turmeric and saute them for about 5 minutes, the pieces should be crispy so do not cook for a long time.
6. Add the powder (made of all dals+spices) to the Capsicum pieces and cook for 2 minutes and add the cooked rice to it and mix it well and add some more salt so that rice would also get enough salt.
7. add the ghee to this preparation at different stages whenever you feel like that it is getting little dry, and add the rest of the ghee after the rice is mixed.
8. Add the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves powder to the rice and mix it well.
9. Saute some cashew and almonds in the ghee.
10. Garnish the rice with cashew, almonds,fresh capsicum pieces that are put at side and small coriander leaves.
11. May be we can add some coconut powder or may be we can use coconut when making the dry powder (I haven’t used in my preparation today but I may use in future)
Note: I did not use ginger, garlic because I want to enjoy the capsicum flavor and I do not want it to be overtaken by the spicy flavor. Again it depends on your taste.
I have taken pics at few stages of my preparation and here they go…