Ninth day – Payasam (Vermicelli & Tapioca in milk) – Semya + saggu biyyam Payasam – తొమ్మిదవ రోజు – నవమి – పాయసం
Eighth day – Chakrapongali (sweet pongal) – ఎనిమదవ రోజు – అష్టమి – చక్కెర పొంగలి
1. Basmati rice – 1/4 cup
2. Moong dal – 1/4 cup
3. Brown sugar (bellam) – 1/2 cup
4. ghee or butter – 5 to 6 table spoons
5. cashew, almond, raisins, pistachio – few of each
7. little paccha karpuram (food camphor)
8. little cardamom powder
1. Pressure cook rice and dal. make brown sugar syrup – add some water to brown sugar and boil it for 5 minutes and add the cooked rice and dal to it. Stir it until the mix becomes thick by adding butter or ghee to it occasionally.
2. add all the nuts (make small pieces of nuts) to the mix and add saffron, cardamom powded and camphor to it.
Seventh day – Sekhannam (vegetable rice) – ఏడవ రోజు – సప్తమి – శాకాన్నము.
I never heard of Sekhannam in my life eventhough I know ‘sekha’ means vegetarian. I do not know the recipe per se. I found it on net. I am not able to find it now. Anyways the essence is it is made with nine vegetables and 5 spices. The recipe listed some vegetables but I would like to go with mine.
1. Basmati Rice – 3 cups
2. Potato, plum tomato, carrot – 2 of each
3. Beet root – I big
4. Cauliflower, Broccoli – 8 to 9 small florets of each one
5. String Beans – 10
6. Green peas – 1/2 cup
7. Brussel Sprouts – 7 to 8
8. Onions – 2 medium size
9. Green chilly – 7 to 8
10. ginger small piece (this is my addition to the recipe)
11. Cloves, Cardamom – 10 each
12. cinnamon stick – 2 inch pieces
13. butter or ghee
14. cashews, raisins, almonds
15. coconut powder – 4 to 5 table spoons
16. Salt to taste
1. Cook rice separately in a rice cooker or pressure cooker – I usually put 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice.
2. Lightly I boiled vegetables (Potato, Carrot separately, beet root separately, cauliflower and broccoli separately). I have bought frozen Brussel Sprouts.
3. Add ghee to a big pan, roast some cashew and raisins and some almond slices, then add onions and green chilly (chillies are cut into vertically, and onions too as thin long pieces) and grounded ginger , when the onions are turning little brownish, add all lightly boiled vegetables and add some salt to taste and let them cook for 10 minutes.
4. Make a powder of cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon.
5. Add the cooked rice and the spices powder, coconut powder to the vegetables container with a low flame on the stove and mix the rice well into vegetables. Leave the stove on a low flame another 5 to 10 minutes.
So the Sakhannam is ready. It really came out very tasty.